Andy MacPhail Is Responsible For All Five Of The Orioles All-Stars
I’m not sure what Andy MacPhail is up to these days. I ran into him in Annapolis Mall back around the holidays, but haven’t seen him since. Whatever he’s doing, I hope he gets to sit back, relax and maybe even light up a celebratory cigar while watching the 2013 All-Star Game tonight.
The folks that commented on this blog a couple years ago and were sarcastically calling MacPhail “McFAIL” and saying that he didn’t have a plan to rebuild the Orioles are no where to be found these days. After watching the Orioles climb out of the AL East cellar, it’s easier to find a T-Rex than an Andy MacPhail basher.
The O’s have five All-Stars, three of which are starting tonight, and all of them have ties to MacPhail.
- Chris Davis – Acquired by Orioles with Tommy Hunter from the Rangers for Koji Uehara on July 30, 2011.
- Adam Jones – Acquired by Orioles with George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio, Chris Tillman and Tony Butler for Erik Bedard on February 8, 2008.
- J.J. Hardy – Acquired by Orioles with Brendan Harris for Brett Jacobson and Jim Hoey on December 9, 2010.
- Manny Machado – Selected third overall by the Orioles in the 2010 MLB Draft.
- Chris Tillman – Acquired by the Orioles (in the previously mentioned deal) with Adam Jones, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler for Erik Bedard on February 8, 2008.