Does an opening series win over the Evil Empire to the tune of 11-3 take the vision of Manny Machado clutching his right knee away? Or have you not stopped holding your breath yet?
The AL East leading Orioles dropped 10 unanswered runs after being down 3-1 in the 3rd inning in en route to the opening series win. Starter Bud Norris (10-7) gutted his way through 5 innings to get the win. But it was the injury replacement for Machado (Chris Davis) and de facto Orioles captain Adam Jones who rallied the troops after watching their teammate go down.
Jones singled ahead of Davis’s 21st moonshot that would’ve landed on Eutaw St had it not been for a sure handed middle aged white guy making the play of his life. That opened the flood gates as the Orioles feasted on the pedestrian Yankee bullpen. I mean, Rich Freaking Hill was summoned by that turnstile of a manager, Joe Girardi.
Tonight the Birds will look to secure their 8 straight series win and 11th out of the last 12 behind Wei-Yen Chen (12-4, 3.90). The Yanks will throw out “Orioles killer” Shane Greene (3-1, 2.89) who did pitch 7.1 innings of no run ball at OPACY on June 12 in a Yankees 3-0 win.
- Manny walking after the game [@MASNRoch]
- Recap of a crazy night at the Yard [Eutaw Street Report]
- Bud Norris vs. the AL East [@MASNRoch]
- Anquan Boldin returns as a 49er [Baltimore Sun]
- Lardarius Webb noncommittal about playing the in preseason [Baltimore Sun]
- What we know about the Ravens so far [Russell Street Report]