Today at 11:30, the Orioles will announce their biggest contract in franchise history. Center fielder Adam Jones has agreed to a six year, $85.5 million extension.
Here’s everything that’s been reported on the contract:
- Jones will receive a $2 million signing bonus.
- There is a no-trade provision included, but no option.
- AJ will become a free agent after the 2018 season.
- He will make $8.5 million in 2013, $13 million in 2014 and 2015, $15 million in 2016 and 2017 and $17 million in 2018.
- Incentives could bring Jones’ total salary to $91.5 million.
- $75,000 per year of Jones’ salary will go to Orioles charities.
- He will have access to a luxury suite at Camden Yards for two regular season games a year.
This deal will make Adam Jones the second highest paid center fielder in baseball, behind the Dodgers Matt Kemp. His $85.5 million deal is larger than Andrew McCutchen’s ($51.5 million) Yoenis Cespedes’ ($36 million) and Curtis Granderson’s (30.25 million) previous contracts with their respective teams.
More details as they emerge. Happy AJ signing day, Baltimore.