Good Chris Tillman, please stand up..
In Sunday afternoon’s rubber game with the offensively challenged Seattle Mariners, former Mariner Tillman pitched 7 strong innings of no run ball in the home team’s 1-0 win. Leadoff hitter, Nick Markakis hit is first ever lead off HR to give the Orioles all the run(s) they would need to ensure their 9th series win in their last 10.
And thanks to the Houston Astros taking 3 out of 4 from the second place Blue Jays, the Orioles will head down 95 South today for a makeup game with the Washington Nationals 3.5 games clear of the BJays in the AL East.
In what was a home stand dominated by pitching the Orioles finish is 4-2 vs. two potential playoff teams in the Angels and M’s. Overall, the Birds sit 62-48 at print time as they embark on a short 4 game roadie before coming back to OPACY next Friday to take on the St. Louis Cards.
But before that, the Orioles will play the Nats tonight (already up 2-1 in the MASN Cup series) before heading to Toronto for a monster 3 game series at SkyDome. If the Orioles can at least take two of three from the BJays they could put some serious room between them and the BJays, but if the BJays step up and sweep the Birds, the AL East could alot different come the weekend.
- Markakis gets his 1500 career hit [Baltimore Sun]
- Jim Johnson back to Baltimore? [MASN]
- Seattle’s view from a far [Seattle Times]
- Camp Notes [Baltimore Sun]
- Keyshawn Johnson expects a big year from Steve Smith [Baltimore Sun]
- Ravens secondary a concern? [Russell Street Report]
- Ravens/Niners joint practice cancelled at M&T Stadium [ProFootballTalk]