Welcome back, Orioles!
After being away from the friendly confines of OPACY since July 13th, the AL East leading Baltimore Orioles sent the 30K+ Orange Koolaid drinkers home with a Manny Machado 12 inning walk off HR as a parting gift.
Machado, who was 2-6 with 2 RBI, laced a 1-2 hanging slider into the 10th row of the left field lower box for his first major league walk off HR off Angels reliever Cory Rasmus (brother of Blue Jays OF Colby Rasmus). The final blast gave the home team a much needed win in what is a tough 6 game homestand vs. the Angels and then the Seattle Mariners this coming weekend. It also kept the Orioles 2.5 games up in the AL East as both the Blue Jays and Yankees won.
And if you like great young starting pitching, then tonight’s matchup of Angels Garrett Richards (11-3, 2.62 ERA) and Kevin Gausman (4-3, 3.67 ERA) just might be up your ally. Richards wasn’t his normal dominant self last Thursday, surrendering four runs on seven hits to the Tigers over 6 innings. He hadn’t given up that many runs or hits since May. Gausman, on the other hand, is coming off an outstanding start in Seattle where he battled King Felix over 6 2/3 innings allowing only one run in a game the Orioles ended up winning in extras 2-1.
- Roch’s leftover from last nights game [MASN]
- Red Sox SP Jon Lester scratched from today’s start [Boston.com]
- Orioles, Nationals continue dispute over MASN revenue [Camden Chat]
- Orioles should try to acquire Justin Masterson [Camden Depot]
- Chykie Brown focused on improving [Baltimore Sun]
- Jah Reid on competition at right tackle [CSN Baltimore]
- Highlights and disappointments from week one of camp [Russell Street Report]