Next man up
That’s the mentality this version of the 2014 Baltimore Orioles must have based on the marquee players they have lost throughout this season.
Last night in front of a national audience, the Orioles walked off the Yankees 3-2 on a Kelly Johnson double that drove in Steve Pearce from second base to gain the home team another series win.
And just think about the names I just used. Johnson has been here for like 10 minutes and might have just played himself into a starting third basemen’s role on a postseason bound roster. And Steve Pearce was released by the club earlier this year only to return (on his own accord) to be the starting first basemen for the club. You just never know when your time is going to come with this club.
Chris Tillman had another outstanding start as he went 6 2/3 innings surrendering only a Martin Prado lead off HR in the 2nd inning, striking out 6. He also extending his streak of allowing three earned runs or less to 19 consecutive games-third longest in club history. He will be your Game 1 starter in the postseason. Book it.
With the win and the BJays loss to Tampa, the Orioles magic number is reduced to:
Tonight the Orioles look to reduce that number by two as the aforementioned BJays come to town to start a 3 game series. 15 game winner, Wei-Yin Chen takes the ball and will be opposed by Marcus Stroman (10-5, 3.61). Stroman is coming off his best start of his career as he shutout the Cubs striking out 8 in the process. Chen has been good as well in September as he’s held opponents to one run in 13 innings across two starts to open the month.
- Learning more about De Aza: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/09/learning-more-about-de-aza.html.
- Kelly Johnson fitting in nicely: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-newcomer-kelly-johnson-fits-orioles-next-man-up-mentality-perfectly-20140914,0,7796658.story.
- The view from up north: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/sports/baseball/yankees-grab-lead-in-the-ninth-but-then-it-slips-through-their-hands.html?r0ef=baseball&_r=.
- Ray Rice to appeal today: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story.
- Jimmy Smith “will make history”: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Jimmy-Smith-Will-Make-History-As-Cornerback/085150f3-9c82-4317-82ce-4ca658e661b5.
- Steve Smith Sr. fitting in nicely: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2195856-steve-smith-finding-fountain-of-youth-with-baltimore-ravens.
Tough loss for the Terps vs. WVU: http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/9/14/6147535/maryland-football-stock-report-west-virginia.
Towson wins their first game of 2014: http://tunews.towson.edu/2014/09/13/towson-football-tops-delaware-state-for-seasons-first-victory/.