Welcome to the sixth installment of BSR’s weekly top 15 rankings.
We have a new top dog this week, as perennial powerhouse Dunbar has seized the top spot in our rankings. The Poets defeated then-No. 2 Patterson on Friday night, by a 64-55 score. With the win, Dunbar extended their active winning streak to 20 consecutive games, and now has the inside track to a Baltimore City League championship.
As will be the case all season, these rankings reward results, taking into account opponent strength and margin of victory/loss. Teams will not be ranked highly because of the hype or publicity surrounding their teams, but rather the consistency and impressiveness of their play. Rankings are released every Monday.
BSR Top 15: Week 6
- Dunbar, 11-0 (Last Week: #4)
- Mount St. Joseph’s, 17-3 (LW: #1)
- Milford Mill, 9-1 (LW: #5)
- Patterson, 8-4 (LW: #2)
- John Carroll, 17-5 (LW: #3)
- Arundel, 11-0 (LW: #7)
- St. Frances, 11-5 (LW: #9)
- Forest Park, 9-1 (LW: #6)
- Glen Burnie, 12-1 (LW: #12)
- Poly, 9-3 (LW: #10)
- City, 8-1 (LW: 8)
- Edmondson, 8-2 (LW: 11)
- Lake Clifton, 10-2 (LW: #14)
- Gilman, 11-4 (LW: Unranked)
- Owings Mills, 8-3 (LW: Unranked)
Dunbar and Arundel are two of only three remaining unbeaten teams in the area, and they continue to climb the rankings accordingly.
Dunbar will face a tough test to stay undefeated throughout the season, with the meat of their Baltimore City League schedule remaining. Arundel has a much better chance to run the table, but Anne Arundel County is fairly deep this year, and very few teams can be considered an easy win.
Milford Mill has absolutely dominated Baltimore County play, and will end up being a #1 seed in state playoffs. In the Millers’ last four games, they’ve defeated their opponents by a combined 219 points; that’s an average of almost 55 points per game.
St. Frances seemed to get back on the winning track this week, while John Carroll seemed to be heading the other way. After losing this week to Mount St. Joe’s and Baltimore Catholic League bottom-feeder St. Maria Goretti, the Patriots barely held off Glenelg Country on Sunday, eeking out a 55-54 win.
The Baltimore City League continues to be the most dominant conference in the rankings, with seven members of the league in the top 15. The MIAA comes in second with four, while Baltimore and Anne Arundel County round out the rankings with two representatives each.
Key Games This Week
- Gonzaga (DC) vs. #4 Patterson, Monday 1/16, 7 p.m. [At Coolidge H.S.]
- #10 Poly vs. #1 Dunbar, Tuesday 1/17, 5:15 p.m.
- #13 Lake Clifton vs. #12 Edmondson, Tuesday 1/17, 5:15 p.m.
- #8 Forest Park vs. #11 City, Thursday 1/19, 5:15 p.m.
- #7 St. Frances vs. #2 Mount St. Joe’s, Friday 1/20, 7 p.m.