Are the Orioles and Yankees destined for game 163?
Image Credit: Greg Fiume/Getty Images

Now that the Baltimore Orioles have clinched their first playoff spot in 15 years, it’s time to get greedy. The O’s remain tied atop the American League East with the New York Yankees heading into the final three games of the season.

Baltimore faces the Rays, currently fighting for their lives back three games in the AL Wild Card race, while New York hosts the last place Boston Red Sox. Obviously this matchup is much more favorable for the Yankees than the Orioles, we all saw what Baltimore was able to do to Boston this weekend.

Don’t make the “rivalry” argument either. All teams try hard against their opponents and the Red Sox won’t find some super secret extra strength against the Yankees.

With that said, should the Orioles remain tied after the Wednesday with the Yankees, they would host New York for game 163 on Thursday. According to CoolStandings.com, the Orioles have a 30.6 percent chance of winning the division, while the Yankees have a 69.4 percent chance.

But the O’s have been proving the numbers wrong all season.

The winner of game 163 would advance to the ALDS as the AL East champion, while the loser would still make the postseason as a Wild Card since both teams have clinched postseason spots.

I already have tickets to Friday’s Wild Card game, should there be one, but man would it be nice to skip right over that.