Sure it was a meaningless game, but the Ravens won’t be walking into the playoffs convincingly after narrowly defeating the Bengals 13-7 on Sunday. Here are my thoughts on the game.
- Other playoff teams got it done – In a week where Atlanta took care of Carolina, Pittsburgh manhandled Cleveland and New England embarrassed Miami, Baltimore escaped the Bengals with a few key turnovers and virtually nothing from their offense. The Ravens end the season 12-4, but didn’t prove to their playoff opponents that they’ll be taking momentum with them into the postseason.
- Thank you Carson! – Despite 305 yards passing, Carson Palmer single handedly kept the Ravens in the game with his two interceptions and fumble. The Bengals QB threw a costly interception in the red zone in the first half and dropped the ball while running during Cincinnati’s potential game winning drive.
- Banged up – The Ravens will be facing a few injuries going into the postseason after this game. Michael Oher, Dannelle Ellerbe and Josh Wilson all left the game after being banged up. None of them returned. The Ravens also sat kick returner David Reed.
- No offense – Joe Flacco finished with 14 completions from 125 yards and threw a costly interception on an under thrown pass to the wide open Todd Heap. The Ravens never established Ray Rice on the ground, he had 20 carries for 77 yards and the team’s only touchdown.
- Cundiff proves he a Pro Bowler – Billy Cundiff tied the league record with 40 touchbacks during this game and drained a 47 yard field goal. The guy deserves his trip to Hawaii.
So what do you think? Did the Ravens look flat the week before their first playoff game, or did this game just not matter?