We all saw some pretty good things on the field in Baltimore’s final pre-season home game versus Jacksonville. Yes, it’s the Jacksonville Jaguars, but coach John Harbaugh has to be pleased with what he saw as the Ravens ramp up towards the team’s opener, September 10th against the Bengals.
Here’s a few things I noticed watching this game:
- Joe Flacco looked extremely comfortable in the pocket as the offensive line did a nice job. Pace and tempo in the no-huddle was sharp. Handled pressure well. I really liked how he created and found the passing lanes while finishing 27-for-36, 266 yards, 2 TD’s and an INT. Flacco’s ready for September 10th.
- Torrey Smith really rounding out his game by running better routes and showing good acceleration. The ankle injury didn’t really seem to bother him much.
- As much as I like Bernard Pierce, I really like Bobby Rainey. He saw a lot of time on the field tonight behind Pierce while Anthony Allen was nowhere to be found. Rainey shows good explosion and scored a touchdown. Pierce is a bruiser. Ravens look good with depth here.
- Justin Tucker looked mighty impressive handling field goal duties. His 53-yard field goal was dead center and had plenty of life after it crossed the uprights. If the kicking job isn’t his after tonight’s performance, I’ll be shocked.
- Safety Bernard Pollard is in mid-season form. Seemed like he was all over the place in the game with good, closing tackles and a nasty streak after those tackles. If you’re a receiver, be prepared to be hit by Pollard.
- Cary Williams still struggling with big, physical receivers. Jags receiver Justin Blackmon was able to create some big separation on Williams and made him pay a few times.
- Jacoby Jones showed great speed while catching the ball on the run. That will go a long way this season in the return game.
- Special teams allowed too much in the way of field position on kick coverage at times. If there’s one thing Justin Tucker will need to improve on, it is getting the ball deeper into the end zone on kickoffs.
So, what did you think of the Ravens dominant effort against Jacksonville?
Follow Matt Lund on Twitter @MattCLund.