Happy Opening Day! The Orioles kickoff the 2013 season on the road against the Tampa Bay Rays before coming come to host the Minnesota Twins on Friday. Here are a few interesting notes about today’s game courtesy of O’s PR.
- Manny Machado becomes the fourth Oriole to start on Opening Day at age 20 younger. Brooks Robinson Started for the O’s on Opening Day at age 19 in 1957, Ron Hansen started at age 20 in 1958 and Boog Powell started at age 20 in 1962.
- Nick Markakis is making his seventh consecutive Opening Day starts for the Orioles, passing Ken Singleton for the most total starts in franchise history by a right fielder
- It’s Adam Jones‘ sixth straight Opening Day appearance in center field and the first Opening Day starts with the O’s for Jason Hammel Steve Pearce and Manny Machado.
- Seven players on this year’s Opening Day roster were not with the Orioles on Opening Day last season: Miguel Gonzalez, T.J. McFarland, Taylor Teagarden, Alexi Casilla, Manny Machado, Nate McLouth and Steve Pearce.
- And did you know that J.J. Hardy leads all major league shortstop with 52 home runs since the start of 2011? I didn’t.
Enjoy the game. Go O’s!