In the midst of another NFL weekend, you may have missed the latest hot stove rumors for the Orioles. Here’s what MLBTradeRumors.com is reporting.
- The arbitration deadline is among us, meaning that the Orioles need to offer free agents arbitration. Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com reported that the O’s have talked with Koji Uehara, Ty Wigginton and Cesar Izturis.
- The Orioles are “high on V-Mart” and he is one Peter Angelos’, Andy MacPhail’s and Buck Showelter’s “top offseason priorities” according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun.
- Jon Garland has been another name that has come up in Baltimore rumors. He’s a favorite of Roch Kubatko at MASNSports.com.
- The O’s are also in the hunt for Jason Bartlett, which of course would require a trade. MLBTradeRumors.com says that the Rays are looking for some young bullpen help. Expatriate talked about the Orioles need for a shortstop in his piece on Friday.
- At first it seemed that the Orioles were interested in placing a bid on Japanese infielder Tsuyoshi Nichioka, but Jeff Zreibec of The Sun reported that the O’s decided not to bid.
UPDATE: Victor Martinez was signed by the Tigers this morning. Orioles Insider reports that the O’s came within $2 million of the deal.
According to Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional and confirmed by Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (and brought to the rest of the world by mlbtraderumors.com), the Detroit Tigers have agreed to terms with catcher/first baseman Victor Martinez on a four-year,$50 million deal.