If your baseball team has a MLB best seven game lead in their division and is 20 games over .500, please stand up.
The Baltimore Orioles completed the series win last night at the Yard over the Rays in a thrilling 5-4 win. J.J. Hardy was the star on offense and defense in this one as he turned an outstanding double play in the 7th to thwart a Rays rally and then knocked in the winning run in the bottom half with a Texas Leaguer to right that scored a hustling Nelson Cruz from second base,
With the win, the O’s move their record vs. the Rays to an impressive 11-5 on the season with only one series left in Tampa (Sept 5-7). They move their home record to a season high 10 over .500 (37-27) while their AL best road record 39-29 stays in tact. And if you are into Magic Numbers like I am, here is where they stand in that department.
Tonight, the Orioles open a 4-game series with the Minnesota Twins at the Yard. Miguel Gonzalez (6-7, 3.75) will be opposed by Twins RHP Trevor Mays (0-3, 8.79). May has struggled with is control in his limited starts this year.
- Adam Jones comment on Social Media Night [Baltimore Sun]
- The Rays point of view on the series [TampaBay.com]
- Buck Showalter praises J.J. Hardy’s defense [MASN]
- Ravens end the preseason undefeated [BaltimoreRavens.com]
- Ravens create salary cap space [Baltimore Sun]
- Will the Ravens keep seven wide receivers? [ESPN]
Maryland Terps/ Towson Tigers
- Terps open the season Saturday at Byrd Stadium [BCSNN]
- Towson Tigers football opens the season Saturday at Johnny U Stadium [TowsonTigers.com]
Image Credit: Keith Allison