The Washington Capitals have acquired left wing Dustin Penner from the Anaheim Ducks for the same fourth round draft pick that they got for Mathieu Perreault. Dustin Penner will be a UFA after this season and comes with a $2,000,000 cap hit, which means that the Capitals have to make another move, whether that’s a trade or somebody else is going to the LTIR, especially since Jack Hillen will very shortly be removed from the LTIR. My speculation is that the Capitals will move either forward Martin Erat or goalie Michal Neuvirth. Here are some fun things to know about Dustin Penner!
- He’s 6’4″ and 240+ pounds. He’s a very physical player and should definitely help the Capitals on offense and defense.
- In 49 games with the Ducks this season, Dustin Penner had 13 goals and 19 assists. I am not implying that +/- is relevant, but his +/- so far this season is +22.
- He will wear number 17
- He’ll be expected to play left wing on the first line opposite Alex Ovechkin.
- He has a Twitter account. Follow him at @DustinPenner25.
- He has won two Stanley Cups, one with Anaheim (2007) and one with the Los Angeles Kings (2012)
Now that the boring stuff is out of the way, here’s some random awesome things to know about Dustin!
- He’s apparently friends with Wil Wheaton.
- He will join Eric Fehr as the second Capital from Winkler, Manitoba. Also, they’re apparently buddies.
- Dustin loves pancakes. A lot. So much he got injured from eating them!
- He needs a place to stay, and guess who he asked over Twitter?
I think this is a great move for the price that the Capitals paid. Fourth round picks rarely amount to much in the NHL. However, I still think the Capitals need to make a move for a top 4 defenseman if they want to make the playoffs. The next 24 hours should be extremely fun, especially since the Capitals absolutely have to make another move of some kind in order to create cap space.