Michael Oher catches all kinds of crap from fans in Baltimore for his false start penalties. Yes, I admit to being one of those fans.
This season however Oher was flagged for just three false start penalties — two of those came in the same game (November 28 vs. Pittsburgh). Oher’s total was so low, that wide receiver Torrey Smith was penalized more for false starts in 2013 (four times).
Ravens free agent tackle was penalized six times this season for 45 yards (three times for holding, three was false starts). By comparison, Oher was flagged nine times for 80 yards in 2012 and 11 times for 84 yards in 2011.
Is it possible that Oher has become a more disciplined player over the past three seasons? Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean that his play has improved.
Over on ESPN.com, Jamison Hensley put together the ten most penalized Ravens players this season. Here’s a breakdown.
- Jimmy Smith – 8 penalties, 79 yards
- Elvis Dumervil – 8 penalties, 57 yards
- A.Q. Shipley – 8 penalties, 50 yards
- Marshall Yanda – 7 penalties, 45 yards
- Courtney Upshaw – 6 penalties, 69 yards
- Michael Oher – 6 penalties, 69 yards
- Torrey Smith – 6 penalties, 45 yards
- Lardarius Webb – 6 penalties, 43 yards
- Kelechi Osemele – 5 penalties, 29 yards
- James Ihedigbo – 5 penalties, 27 yards
Image Credit: Jeff Weese