Orioles News And Notes – July 11
Guest post by Daniel Clark from Pen & Paper Sports. You can follow Daniel on Twitter @DJC_Sports.
Here is the latest news from the Baltimore Orioles and their MiLB affiliates:
- The Orioles, 50-42, require 43 wins from their remaining 70 games in 2013 to equal their 93 wins from last season. Playing .614 baseball is achievable, however in a strong AL East it will require some improved pitching.
- Chris Davis is in the middle of a skid, having gone hit less in his last 17 at bats. During this period, he has also struck out 9 times.
- Chris Dickerson has a strained left shoulder which occurred during batting practice on Wednesday night. He is scheduled to have an MRI on Friday should his condition not improve.
- Buck Showalter is considering sending Wei-Yin Chen back down to the minors to pitch and stay on normal rotation during the All-Star Break.
- Manny Machado has now had 126 safe hits in 2013 and at this rate, is on track to have 222 for the season.
- Henry Urrutia, who hit a sensational .365 in 52 games at AA Bowie has continued his hot form with AAA Norfolk. Through 13 games, he’s hitting .365 and on Wednesday night, went 5-5.
- Alex Liddi, who recently joined the Orioles from the Seattle Mariners, has gotten off to a great start with AAA Norfolk. Through 3 games he is hitting .455 with 1 HR and 5 RBI.