Who’s pumped for the MLB draft tonight? I sure am. I will now share with you all my draft predictions. These things truly are a toss up, but I can make some educated guesses based on positional and depth need in each organization.
Yesterday I did an in depth look at the Baltimore Orioles pick at #4 overall. If you missed it you can see it here.
The Fantasy God’s 2012 MLB Mock Draft.
1. Houston Astros- Byron Buxton, OF, HS (GA): The Astros really need everything. #1 and #2 pick will be a toss up between Buxton and Appel. I have Houston taking Buxton because of their jump to the American League next year. They really need to acquire hitting to survive in the AL. So they will select a bat that can be their star hitter for many years to come.
2. Minnesota Twins- Mark Appel, RHP, Stanford: The Twins will take the guy that Houston doesn’t take. I think they would prefer Buxton, but they will be happy with the best pitcher overall.
3. Seattle Mariners- Mike Zunino, C, Florida: Makes a lot of sense for Seattle to take the high upside catcher. They have zero catching in their organization and Jesus Montero is more than likely going to be a DH for them. There is a chance that Correa goes here though.
4. Baltimore Orioles- Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU: It’s the safest pick for the Orioles. They seem to always be set on a certain guy and don’t like to budge away regardless of who falls. Correa would be a steal at this pick, but I don’t see them jumping on him. They like to stack up on pitching.
5. Kansas City Royals- Carlos Correa, SS, HS (Puerto Rico): Most people have KC taking a pitcher here, but not me. Looking at their organizational top 10 they have 7 pitchers on that list. They also have 2 outfielders and a 3B. They already have their 1B of the future on their team. They have plenty of catching depth. What they need is a 2B or SS. Correa would be absolutely perfect for them to fill their organizational needs.
6. Chicago Cubs- Lucas Giolito, RHP, HS (CA): This is the first real surprise in my draft. Giolito has been climbing the draft boards rapidly. I can see Theo surprising everybody here. Giolito is certainly worth the spot, but this would be seen as a surprise. Expect Giolito to be drafted much earlier than projected.
7. San Diego Padres- Kyle Zimmer, RHP, San Francisco: The Padres seem to have more offensive prospects than they do pitching. Zimmer is a nice value pick at #7. It will be too good for SD to pass up.
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Albert Almora, OF, HS (NC): Scooping up a hitter that they didn’t expect to be there. They like the SS Marrero, but they can’t take him when Almora is still on the table.
9. Miami Marlins- Richie Shaffer, 1B/3B, Clemson: First and third are two positions that the Marlins could really use help at. They have plenty of outfield depth which is why Hawkins and Dahl don’t make as much sense to me.
10. Colorado Rockies- Courtney Hawkins, OF, Carroll: This organization is flooded with pitching. Hitters are what they really need. Another good college outfielder could help them in the next few seasons. It won’t take him that long to develop.
11. Oakland Athletics- Victor Roache, 1B/OF, Georgia Southern: Surprise #2 in my draft. Roache was expected to be a high first round pick this year before he broke his wrist. Many believe that Roache has more power than anyone in this draft. With Shaffer going to Miami, Billy Beane will pull the trigger on a big power guy. Even if it is a surprise. I can’t necessarily call it a reach seeing how this guy was projected to go even higher before his injury.
12. New York Mets- Max Fried, LHP, HS (CA).: The Mets need pitching. I think they would take the lefty before they would take all the right handers who are projected around this time.
13. Chicago White Sox- Lance McCullers, RHP, HS (FL): This seems to be their guy. Bright kid. Nice pick.
14. Cincinnati Reds- Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke: Had a huge season which earned him a spot in the top 15 overall.
15. Cleveland Indians- David Dahl, OF, HS (AL)- This would be Cleveland scooping up a player who fell. Dahl is projected to go in the top 10, but I see him falling. I think most of the teams looking for hitting in the early going would prefer college bats. They need help now. So Dahl could slide down in the draft past all the teams who are looking for pitching. Clevland could certainly use another outfielder of the future. Grady Sizemore isn’t going to cut it.
16. Washington Nationals- Devin Marrero, SS, Arizona State: The Pirates like him at #8 overall. The Nationals like to scoop up the best available player. Plus they are looking for another long term infielder. Marrero will probably become a 2B in the majors which is even more perfect for the Nats. This would be a great value pick.
17. Toronto Blue Jays- Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State: Some believe Stratton is undervalued. This would be a solid pick for the Blue Jays.
18. Los Angeles Dodgers- Mike Wacha, RHP, Texas A&M: The best pitcher for them to take here.
19. St. Louis Cardinals- Gavin Cecchini, SS, HS (LA): Great value pick for the Cardinals. They certainly need a SS of the future.
20. San Francisco Giants- Tanner Rahler, SS, HS (CA): They were probably hoping for Cecchini, but now they have to settle for Rahler. They need a SS regardless.
21. Atlanta Braves- Joey Gallo, 3B, HS (NV): What better way to celebrate Chipper Jones’ retirement than to draft a powerful 3B prospect. Perfect. Good value for the power too.
22. Toronto Blue Jays- Tyler Naquin, OF, Texas A&M- A stud outfielder to go with the stud pitcher they got 5 picks ago.
23. St. Louis Cardinals- DJ Davis, OF, HS (MS)- He’s been moving higher and higher up the draft boards with stellar play. Would be a nice pick to go with the stud shortstop they got 4 picks ago.
24. Boston Red Sox- Andrew Heaney, LHP, Oklahoma State- Heaney is unpredictable. He will either go really early or really late.
25. Tampa Bay Rays- Matt Smoral, LHP, HS (OH)- The Rays like arms.
26. Arizona Diamondbacks- Corey Seager, 3B, HS (NC)- Arizona could use a young 3B.
27. Milwaukee Brewers- Clint Coulter, C, HS (WA)- The Brewers seemed to be linked to a catcher with one of these picks.
28. Milwaukee Brewers- Ty Hensley, RHP, HS (OK)- Pitching would be a good thing to acquire since they will probably lose Greinke after this season. They need long term arms.
29. Texas Rangers- Hunter Virant, LHP, HS (CA)- Texas doesn’t need much of anything. How about more pitching?
30. New York Yankees- Addison Russell, SS, HS (FL)- Eventually they will need a SS.
31. Boston Red Sox- Stryker Trahan, C, HS (LA)- Stryker is an awesome name. The Red Sox seem to get all the cool names. So that’s why I choose him here. That and the Red Sox eventual need for a catcher.
Follow The Fantasy God on Twitter @FantasyGodmb.