“Schoop = Dope”.
After a pair of long rain delays totaling over 2 hours, the Orioles started fast and held on for the first win of the 3-game series with a 5-4 vicotry over the punting Cincinnati Reds late on Tuesday night. It took a Jay Bruce grand slam off usually reliable Darren O’Day in the 8th to get the Red Legs back in the game before ultimately enduring it’s MLB-most 34th one-run loss of the season.
Second baseman and one of my personal fav’s, Jonathan Schoop, homered into the Red bullpen in the 2nd inning to give the home team the 5-0 lead. But it was his defense that sealed the Orioles 80th win on the season. With one out and runners at first and third in the top of the 9th inning, Reds Todd Frazier hit a soft ground ball to Schoop who tagged Billy Hamiliton (where was he going?) and threw to first to complete the game-ending double play. Hence the phrase- Schoop = Dope.
With the win and the Yankees loss at home vs the Red Sox, the Orioles now have themselves a 9.5 game lead and a Magic Number of…wait for it…
Tonight, the Orioles look to take the series behind Miguel Gonzalez (7-7, 3.61) who will be opposed by the Reds Dylan Axelrod (1-0, 1.64). Gonzo held the Twins last Friday night to one run in seven innings to finish August with a 2.96 ERA despite spending part of the month in Triple-A Norfolk.
- J.J. Hardy makes me laugh [@OriolesGIFS]
- Buck Showalter on the win [MASN]
- Orioles update their roster with speed [Baltimore Sun]
- How an undrafted rookie made the Ravens roster [Baltimore Sun]
- Ravens release updated depth chart [BaltimoreRavens.com]
- TE Owen Daniels “fresh” and ready to go [Baltimore Sun]
Maryland Terps/Towson Tigers
- Terps lose talented WR Jacobs for year [Washington Post]
- Tigers of Towson with a huge test in Morgantown this Saturday [Baltimore Sun]