It’s a tough day in Baltimore, and it seems that football is on the forefront of everybody’s minds in Charm City today. Regardless, it is Monday, which means we have another round of high school basketball rankings to release.
Dunbar is holding firm in the top spot, now 13-0 and one of only three unbeatens in the Baltimore area.
As will be the case all season, these rankings reward results, taking into account opponent strength and margin of victory/loss. Teams will not be ranked highly because of the hype or publicity surrounding their teams, but rather the consistency and impressiveness of their play. Rankings are released every Monday.
BSR Top 15: Week 7
- Dunbar, 13-0 (Last Week: #1)
- Milford Mill, 11-1 (LW: #3)
- Mount St. Joseph’s, 19-4 (LW: #2)
- St. Frances, 13-5 (LW: #7)
- Patterson, 9-5 (LW: #4)
- John Carroll, 18-5 (LW: #5)
- Arundel, 12-0 (LW: #6)
- Forest Park, 11-1 (LW: #8)
- City, 10-2 (LW: #11)
- Glen Burnie, 13-1 (LW: #9)
- Lake Clifton, 12-2 (LW: #13)
- Poly, 9-4 (LW: #10)
- Edmondson, 8-3 (LW: #12)
- Archbishop Spalding, 13-8 (LW: Unranked)
- Gilman, 12-4 (LW: #14)
Dunbar defeated Poly on Friday night, 58-51. It was a strong showing for the Engineers however, who continue to show that they mean business in the Baltimore City League this season.
Milford Mill is ranked higher in these rankings than most others, but they have been the most consistently dominant team in the area, plowing through Baltimore County competition. This weekend will be key for the Millers, as they take on Dunbar and Lake Clifton in the Basketball Academy event at Coppin State.
St. Frances defended their home court against Mount St. Joseph’s on Friday night, winning by a 56-48 score. Led by UNLV-bound point guard DaQuan Cook, the Panthers avenged an early-season overtime loss to the Gaels. Still, MSJ retains a higher ranking. Besides Friday night, they have only one area loss, with the other two losses coming in out-of-town tournaments. If St. Frances keeps rolling, they could stake a claim as the second-best team in the area.
Arundel remains undefeated, and is one of the three remaining unbeatens in the area (Dunbar and Bel Air’s Patterson Mill are the other two). They look to be the favorite in Anne Arundel County, and a candidate for a 4A state championship.
This week might be the best week of action all season, culminating in the three-day long Basketball Academy at Coppin State. Expect a preview of the event to be posted later this week.
Key Games This Week
- St. Vincent Pallotti vs. #15 Gilman, Monday 1/23, 7 p.m.
- #3 Mount St. Joseph’s vs. #14 Archbishop Spalding, Tuesday 1/24, 7 p.m.
- #4 St. Frances vs. #6 John Carroll, Tuesday 1/24, 7 p.m.
- #7 Arundel vs. North County, Wednesday 1/25, 5 p.m.
- #1 Dunbar vs. #2 Milford Mill, Thursday, 1/26, 8 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #9 City vs. New Town, Friday 1/27, 5:30 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #13 Edmondson vs. Friendly, Friday 1/27, 6:45 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #11 Lake Clifton vs. Owings Mills, Friday 1/27, 8 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #5 Patterson vs. Largo, Friday 1/27, 9:15 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #1 Dunbar vs. Friendly, Saturday 1/28, 5:30 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #2 Milford Mill vs. #11 Lake Clifton, Saturday 1/28, 6:45 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]
- #4 St. Frances vs. #5 Patterson, Saturday 1/28, 8 p.m. [Basketball Academy @ Coppin]