When I ran my own Ravens blog, I found that draft coverage was surprisingly fun, and brought in a lot of traffic. I would put together my own mock drafts and make a big board of players that the Ravens reported interest in.
One other popular feature was what I called a “mock draft survey,” where I would use the DC Pro Sports Report mock draft database to figure out which players were being selected by the Ravens in 1st round mocks across the internet.
For this survey, all mock drafts in the database updated since March 21st were used.
This will be the first of several surveys leading up to Draft Day.
After sifting through 30 mock drafts, 16 different names were linked to the Ravens. Only six were mentioned multiple times, those of which are listed below, along with the number of times they appeared:
- Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin: 6
- Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama: 5
- Whitney Mercilus, OLB/DE, Illinois: 3
- Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska: 2
- Mychal Kendricks, ILB, California: 2
- Mark Barron, S, Alabama: 2
An interesting note: Some mock drafts reasoned that Konz would be a great replacement for Matt Birk once he retires, and a few even added that the Wisconsin product may be able to shift over to a guard position for the Ravens and make an immediate impact.
- Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
- Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State
- Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
- Courtney Upshaw, ILB, Alabama
- Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
- Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
- Devon Still, DT, Penn State
- Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
- Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
- Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
While this survey does not really tell us much at this point, it shows the public perception of the Ravens’ current roster, and the needs that will probably be addressed in the NFL Draft. The majority of the players listed were linebackers, defensive linemen, or offensive linemen.
Stay tuned for another draft survey in the upcoming days.