Orioles win, Ravens lose. But Ray Rice is the biggest loser of the weekend.
With the NFL opening weekend taking center stage, the 1st place Orioles were playing second fiddle. Which might have been a good thing since they couldn’t seem to figure out the Tampa Bay starting pitching losing the first two of the 3 game series at the Trop. But Sunday Funday was rescued by a guy who just isn’t getting the shine he deserves.
Nelson Cruz hit a tie breaking two-run bomb in the top of the 11th inning to stop the Orioles 5 game road losing streak and give his side the 7-5 comeback win. Down 3-0 heading to the top of the sixth inning, Cruz belted his 38th HR of the season to get the O’s back in the game. He then added a clutch, bases-loaded ninth-inning triple down the right field line to give the Orioles a 5-4 lead. Closer Zach Britton couldn’t hold the lead, but Cruz bailed him out with the game wining bomb in the 11th.
Cruz became the first player with 7 RBI’s to account for all the his team’s runs since Colorado’s Jason Giambi did so on May 19, 2011. The last-RBI game by an Oriole was Luke Scott on July 7, 2009.
The Orioles pushed their extra innings record to 13-5 and 44-11 in multi-homer games. The O’s also used a club record 23 players. It was also the most players manager Buck Showalter has ever used in his illustrates career.
With the win and Yankees loss at home on Derek Jeter Day, the Orioles Magic Number is…
Tonight the Orioles look to continue their march to the AL East title with a 3 game series at Fenway Park. Miguel Gonzalez (8-7, 3.38 ERA) will be opposed by BoSox’ Joe Kelly (3-3, 4.13 ERA). Gonzo is coming off his best performance of his career as he tossed his first complete game shutout in a 6-0 victory over the Reds.
- Pondering Cruz’ future with the Orioles [MASN]
- Adam Jones, J.J. Hardy and Nick Markakis get the day off [Baltimore Sun]
- The Tampa Bay view of Sunday’s loss [TampaBay.com]
- A new Ray Rice video released [TMZ]
- New Ravens WR’s have a case of the drop’s in loss to the Bengals [Baltimore Sun]
- Bengals players react to the win [Cincinnati.com]
Maryland Terps/ Towson Tigers
- Maryland guts out a win in South Florida to go to 2-0 on the young season [TestudoTimes.com]
- Towson gets housed in Morgantown to start the season 0-2 [Post-Gazette.com]