Even though the NBA can’t seem to get their act together, the college hoops season is coming full steam and promises to be one of the better ones in recent memories. Practices are in full swing as the season prepares to tip off and the Terps are no different. So, on Saturday October 29, the Terps will host an open practice and scrimmage from noon until 1 prior to the 3 PM football game with Boston College the same day. It will give fans a chance to again see the 2011-2012 Terps up close and personal and see some of the progress since the Maryland Madness from about a week ago. Basketball lots will not be open but fans can park in their usual football parking lots.
As a Terps fan, I am excited to see what this year brings for the men of College Park. Here are a few things I look forward to this year:
1) The Mark Turgeon effect and how it will be similar but different from what Gary Williams brought on the sideline. Turgeon has been a winner wherever he has gone whether it be Wichita State or Texas A&M and I curious how he plys his trade for the Terps in the ACC.
2) I am curious how the highly touted Baltimore native, Nick Faust, does in his freshman year. Will he need a few games to find his stride like Harrison Barnes of UNC last year or will he make an instant impact throughout? He received 1 vote from the ACC media for Freshman of the Year.
3) I am excited to see the maturation of Pe’Shon Howard and Terrell Stoglin with an offseason of working out and conditioning. What will the sophomores do for an encore?
4) Where will the inside presence come from now that Jordan Williams is in the NBA? The Terps signed 7’1 Alex Len to go along with 6’8 James Padgett, 6’10 Berend Weijs, and 6’9 Ashton Pankey and Spencer Barks.
5) Which of the freshmen brought in will be able to carve out minutes between Jacob Susskind, Arnold Richmond, Barks, Pankey, Len, and Faust?
6) The starting lineup to open should be Sean Mosley, Howard, Stoglin, Padgett,and Weijs but I am curious how it will evolve through the year.
With the new team, I am excited to see the cards that have been dealt to us and see how the pieces mix and match together. So come check out the basketball team before heading to Byrd Stadium to watch the BC game. It should be a great time.